The role of an operations manager in simple words is handling operations, day to day activities in a firm. He oversees all aspects of production and operations, these operations could be in any company and sector as operations are everywhere irrespective of the business model. His roles stretch according to the goods or services provided by the firm. An operations manager is jack as he gets to wear all the caps in an operation, including retail, the hospitality industry, construction, transportation and healthcare organizations. Click here to know more.
To become an operations manager minimum of a Bachelor’s degree is required. You will be most attractive to employers if you have a Bachelor’s degree in management, finance, industrial technology or a related field with the necessary skills required. If you are targeting a higher-level role, Candidates should also have a Master’s degree in Operations Management, i.e. MBA (Operations) or a Post Graduate Diploma in Operational Management.
Skills required for an operations managers are:
- Leadership: It is all about motivating and directing people around you and achieving a common target. Here you should make plans and guide your colleagues to accomplish the common goal. This means you are helping others reach their full capability thus a leader grows along with the people around him. He leads by example. Click to know more.
- Administrative skills: Organizing the working of process, people and the complete system for efficient working of the company. A good administration will also allow him to keep records and review his companies working, its loopholes, inefficiencies and thus helping him to make it more efficient. Administration leads a company to continuous growth.
- Financial management: Managing the expenses, cash flow, profitability and credit so that the firm runs as smoothly as possible. It is a strategic usage of companies financial assets, its management and optimum utilization of funds. Finding or creating safe investment opportunities and increase profitability.
- Strong communication: The ability to understand any information quickly and accurately and able to convey the same to others with confidence. Communication enables one to express in a positive and clear manner. It’s a must way to connect with the people and to achieve corporate success.
- Computer skill: Firstly having the support and knowledge of technology is necessary for better and faster management. Secondly, It will increase your accuracy, efficiency and save time. Thirdly it will provide technological support and improve your work performance, which will give you an edge over others. Hence It will simplify your job.
- Negotiation: It is very important to get deals and benefits in your and companies favor thus it also plays a critical role in procurements and decision making. This skill helps you maintain long relationships with the clients by ending deals in a win-win situation. It also helps you to avoid conflicts and get better deals for your firm.
- Decision making: A good decision-making skill will help you to make good utilization of resources, selecting the foremost alternatives and conclude various matters like action plans and goals. The ability to make good decisions will help to tackle problems with the best solutions, it helps in selecting suitable individuals for a particular task or to disapprove of anything. Decision-making is an indispensable accomplishment.
Operations managers are responsible for managing activities that are part of the production of goods and services. Their responsibilities include managing the operations process, planning, control, performance improvement, and operations strategy. Operations managers’ responsibilities include:
- Human resource management: Providing adequate training, managing and deciding suitable salaries of employees. Providing employees with career assistance ensures a good working environment and overall support. Assisting the recruitment process along with other HR duties. Click here to know more.
- Asset management: Making best use of the companies assets(machines facilities infrastructure etc.) to work. Optimum utilization of companies resources, funds and investments to generate revenue and give profitable output.
- Cost management: Planning and controlling the expenditure, making ideal use of the companies budget. Reducing the expenses and estimating the future budget. The main focus here is to make the best possible use of the budget without affecting the working potential of the company.
- Negotiation: It is a process to reach the best outcome in a discussion. He should able to settle differences while avoiding disputes. Aims to make good relations with parties and works to get possible solutions and agreements.
- Departmental budgeting: There are different departments in an organization. depending on the needs different budget allocation is required. It is similar to cost management.
- Inventory control: Maintain inventory, purchase new stocks, track orders and deliveries along with inspection and records. In simple terms managing the stocks such that the running of the company should not stop. Therefore he must buy stocks accordingly and maintain the database.
To know about freshers or average salary CLICK HERE.
For broader salary insights VISIT HERE.