Who is a Production Engineer?
A production engineer typically deals with stream-line involve in transforming raw material into finished products. The goal is to execute the production process in the smoothest, efficient and most economical way. Production engineers work in a variety of fields and hold different job titles such as Industrial Engineer and Manufacturing Engineer. Their main aim is to improve the efficiency of production processes by utilizing optimum resources in the form of material, machinery, manpower and money thus eliminating the minimum waste.
Qualification required to become a Production Engineer
- You need to complete your Bachelor’s degree program in Mechanical Engineering.
- A diploma holder in Mechanical Engineering with a job experience will also hold good.
- Industrial Training Institute (ITI) in Mechanical with more than 10 years of job experience may work in small size companies.
- Having specialization in design, inventory control, logistics and material flow will be of great advantages.
What are skills required?
- Technical skills: As a production engineer, you should have complete knowledge of the product. You should aware of the mechanical and thermal properties of the required product. You should also have hands-on experience in various designing tools.
- Communication skills: You should have good oral and written communication skills to explain complex processes to workers. The engineer must have the ability to explain technical information to unskilled labors.
- Time Management skills: This is one of the most important for a Production Engineer to get an optimal result. You should know your downtime and production time.
- Quantitative skills: You need to be very strong in Math. It is the numerical ability of an individual to evaluate things in a technical or non-technical manner. You need to also have analytical skills to analyze data.
Functions of a Production Engineer
- Their main role is to maximize the productivity of machinery and workers without comprising the quality of the product.
- They have to ensure that all steps of a production run smoothly and efficiently.
- They have to evaluate the cause of breakdowns and troubleshoot problems.
- A Production Engineer has to train, supervise and manage production line workers.
- As a production engineer, you have to access and analyze the current production methods and implement changes if required.
- Production Engineer plays a major role in minimizing the waste material.
- They have to follow product specifications and quality control measures.
- Develop and implement quality control measures that effectively monitor products and guarantees desired results.