Have you aligned yourself with a mentor? Job success is a result of many factors like domain knowledge, relevant skills set, professional connections, etc. But in the long term, to have a successful professional life mentorship plays an important role. Mentoring is important, not only to share knowledge and skills set with mentees but also to build strong professional socialization to facilitate success in career life. It is important to have a mentor who can guide you through your goal and important career related decisions.
In today’s competitive world, quality mentoring greatly enhance the chances to lead a successful career. Research shows that students with quality mentoring have greater career advancement potential in their domain field. Whether your goal is career advancement, career change, entrepreneurship or you are job seeking, if you need to soar, deliver great results and reach the zenith of your potential at work, you need to get a mentor.
Here is the importance of having a mentor in professional as well as in personal life.
1. Equivalent to pursuing job
- The main aim of any freshers is to get a job. But in today’s competitive world only having a job is not the only requirement. You should have a mentor too.
- At the end of the final year, most of the students put their whole energy in searching for a good job. This is the main reason that they give more priority to the first opportunity.
- In general, it is very much possible that your first job will not give you career growth in the long term. To eliminate this confusion it is equally important to have a mentor.
- So as a fresher you should focus on both i.e. having a job and as well as a mentor.
- Mentors have the experiences that you can learn and avoid the same mistakes that most of the beginners make.
2. Helps in defining goals and boundaries
- Research shows that most of the students don’t know their area of interest in a proper way.
- The main reason for this is, our aspirations are not constant throughout our life. It goes on changes from time to time.
- Since in graduation, you are at the peak stage of your life. You don’t have enough time to keep deciding your domain area.
- Hence most of the students get their first job without looking at their future in the long term. And after working for the first five-six months, they start jumping from one company to another.
- So what happens to this is that the company’s time is getting worse and they spoil their own time as well.
- Here mentorship plays an important role in making your career map.
- Mentors can see where you need to improve where you often cannot.
3. Continuous skills development
- To do well in the corporate world, it is important to keep learning and stay updated with the latest technologies in your domain.
- Here you definitely need domain expertise to train you in a technical as well as non-technical way.
- You need to simultaneously add-on soft skills with the increase in responsibilities to handle your task in an efficient way.
- You will learn what skills set are required for a particulars profile.
- Taking opinion from your mentor, you can move one step ahead by doing specialization in your domain field. This will boost your career.
4. Keep you inspired and motivated
- It is important to keep yourself motivated to keep moving forward in your career.
- Mentor inspire and motivate you by sharing their experiences and achievements. The success stories will resonate you as a mentee.
- Those inspirational teaching will help you to prevent unnecessary mistakes.
- As a mentee, you should ask lots of questions and take feedback from your mentor.
- A mentor is someone who allows you to see the hope inside yourself.
5. Source of professional network
- Mentors are the best source of a professional network that every beginner looking for.
- You can have more than one mentor because different times in your career may call for different mentoring relationships.
- Having a good professional network opens lots of opportunities in the future.
- It is very important to keep yourself surrounded by productive people to stay focused in your career life.