Location is critical when searching for entry-level jobs. Sometimes it happens that you like your job but location does not suit you. Make sure that choosing the right job location can be impactful on achieving success in your first job. In most of the cases, job seekers search for their job at nearby home places. It is obvious that you will be satisfied with your job location but it will also limit your career option.
Growing concern about entering the workforce has become focused around the following key factors:
- Job function
When it comes to choosing location, freshers falls in three categories:
- No restriction on location: In this category, job seekers are willing to go anywhere. Here they have chances to explore many options. Even though you are open to settling anywhere, it does not mean that you should be willing to move absolutely anywhere.
- Restriction on certain location: Here you prefer some locations which are suitable for you. Once you have several locations that you are targeting, find out the jobs available in a particular location.
- Strict location requirement: Here you stick to one location and thereby limits the career options. Here you highly dominate your location factor over a job. You mostly pefer nearby home places. Make sure that you avoid this category if possible.
It is very difficult to choose between job and location. Here are the some points that need to be consider to come out of this dilemma.
1. Don’t stick to home place
- It is very comfortable to work at nearby home places. You need to get out of your comfort zone.
- When you work outside your home town you will get to learn many things. Social exploration is equivalently important.
- At home town, you will be familiar with the people’s mindset. But working outside you will get people with different culture, ideas and viewpoints.
- Since you are a beginner, working outside will make you a self-dependent person.
- After working three to four years outside you can think of shifting at home town if required.
2. Think beyond metropolitan cities
- Everybody knows that there are lots of jobs available in cities like Mumbai, Bengaluru, Pune, Delhi and Hyderabad. But you need to think beyond these cities.
- In other cities, there will be less competition and greater opportunities to explore yourself.
- This may give you a good start without much efforts.
3. Follow your dream job
- If you are getting your dream job then don’t compromise with location.
- You know that your first job location is not the last one. Getting a good start is important.
- If the company has offices in multiple cities then it will be an advantage in the future.
- Do not put yourself in confusion in choosing location.
4. Career growth
- You should choose a location where you can see your career growth.
- Some places are very comfortable to live but there is no growth in that location.
- At the start, it is very important to choose a location where you can explore yourself.
- After gaining the required knowledge and skills you can shift yourself to your favorite place. The advantage is, you can guide other people in some manner.