As you reach in the final year of the programme, you start thinking of placement in a good company. Campus placement season is a very crucial period because your decision will be going to impact your career for atleast one or two years. Everybody knows that there is a big competition in acquiring a job. The one who starts preparing earlier will be ahead of the competition.
First, you need to be calm and aware of placement activities going in your college. You need to plan actively to get hired. Here I have listed the major steps that you need to check out.
1. Know the standard procedure
- Here you need to know about the stages of campus recruitment that every company follows. You need to clear each round to become eligible for the next round.
- First, there will be an Aptitude test. Here you will be tested for logical reasoning and quantitative ability.
- Second, there will be a group discussion. In this section, you need to show your communication skills and ability to work in a team.
- Third, there will be a technical round. Here you need to show technical knowledge in your subject.
- Fourth, there will be an HR round. This is the final round to select the deserving candidates. Here the student’s stability and confidence level towards the particular work is evaluated.
- Finally, there will be post-placement talk. Here you will be given an offer letter.
2. Conduct self-analysis
- You need to clearly know your area of interest.
- Analyze yourself that how much you are technically strong in your area of interest.
- You should be aware of the requirement of the company i.e how the company wants its candidates to be like.
- You should judge your attitude and behavior. This will be helpful in HR round.
- You should also conduct a SWOT analysis. This will help you in understanding yourself better.
- Click here to know how to conduct self-analysis.
3. Building a strong resume
- You should start reading resume related article. This will take time but you will be clearer about the layout, formats and keywords that will create impact.
- Your resume should be very clean, clear and precise.
- It is advisable to use different resume for different interview based on the company and the position.
- You need to take feedback about your resume from your colleagues, mentor or faculty. Keep updating your resume.
- You need to be prepared to defend your resume in interview.
4. Start making connection
- First, you need to stay connected with your faculty. This will help you not only in college life but also in professional life.
- When you joined an internship and worked with some people, stay connected with them.
- This is the beginning of your professional connections.
- Update your progress, activities and interest to these people.
- You can also use social media to make professional connections.
5. Think beyond metropolitan cities
- Everybody knows that there are lots of jobs available in cities like Mumbai, Bengaluru, Pune, Delhi and Hyderabad. But you need to think beyond these cities.
- In other cities, there will be less competition and greater opportunities to explore yourself.
- This may give you a good start without much efforts.
6. Know the company and industry
- You should conduct adequate research on the company in which you are going to give an interview.
- You should also have knowledge of the leading company in your sector.
- You can take the help of internet and social media to know their backgrounds, achievements, objectives and vision.
- You should find out whether the company is provides fields work, research work or testing work.