Meaning of procrastination
- Procrastination is the most common and major problem in day to day life.
- It is an act of delaying and postponing of the assigned task.
- There is some kind of negative forces which do not allow to meet deadlines.
- In business management, procrastination can have a great impact on productivity of the organization.
Why do we procrastinate?
Procrastinators are often smart, capable and hardworking people. They are very well aware of effects of procrastination. But then also people keep on procrastinating. What is the reason behind this?
The main reason is our negative emotions. Human behavior is entirely driven by emotions. This negative emotions tries to pull us towards comfort zone. And when we are in a comfort zone we do things which makes us feel good rather focusing on what is the right thing to do. In some cases, people work out of their comfort zone but then also procrastination happens. This is because planning of resources in terms of time, human, money, etc. had not done properly.
How to stop procrastination?
- Plan for everything
- Form to-do list.
- Prioritize your task.
- After prioritizing, schedule your task.
- You need to plan each and every step so that everything is visible to you.
- This step is very important because if you don’t have the proper planning then it will definitely lead to procrastination.
- Meeting deadlines
- For each task you need to set start time as well as finish time.
- You should also evaluate the skill and methods required for the assigned task.
- Have focus and firm determination towards the goal.
- Avoid multitasking as much as possible.
- Manage distractions
- Small distractions like phone calls, social media, any visitors, etc. can also leads to procrastination.
- Handling unexpected meeting can also cause procrastination. Therefore you should have proper planning to avoid such things in future.
- You need to take out some time for extra activities and appoint one person to handle such things.
- Don’t let your emotion dominates over rational thinking
- This is one of the most important step. Because if you are able to fulfil the above three steps then also there are chances that you may procrastinate.
- Therefore you need to control your negative emotion. Try not to depend on mood because it is a temporary state of your mind or feelings.
- Always try to possess rational attitude.
- Always have a purpose for what you are doing.